Install a Rain Barrel as the First Step in
Money-Saving Rainwater Collection
A rain barrel recycles water, reduces your water bill, helps prevent soil erosion and flooding, and preserves our water quality.
And who doesn’t love FREE water for use in gardens, lawns, landscaping, outdoor cleaning, and indoor plants?
Reasons to Have a Rain Barrel at Home
- Keeps water out of storm and combined sewer systems.
- Protects our rivers, lakes, and streams from runoff pollution.
- Controls moisture levels around the foundation of your home.
- Provides oxygenated, un-chlorinated water to plants.
- Directs overflow to where you want it to be.
- Reduces water and wastewater bills.
- Conserves water in the summer months when demand is the highest.
How Rain Barrels Work with Your Gutter System
During installation, Gutter Tex will modify the downspout or use a drainage adaptor to direct the flow of water from the gutter to the rain barrel.
Due to limited rainwater storage capacity, we ensure runoff from water overflow is managed appropriately to protect your soil and foundation.
Now it’s ready to collect rainwater. It looks great and effectively stores your water until you need it.
Rain barrels include two water recovery methods:
- A solid brass spigot to dispense into watering cans or buckets
- An attachment for hoses, using natural pressure to increase water flow.
Gutter Tex Rainwater Collection
A functional feature to watch for when you choose a rainwater collection product includes an intake at the rear of the rain barrel, with a tightly fitted aluminum intake screen.
Insects such as mosquitos are attracted to standing water. This design protects against insect and debris entry while reducing algae contamination and odors.
Care and Cautions
- Rain barrels are not a recommended source of drinking water unless you use a water filtration system.
- Do not use rain barrel water directly on edible garden plants.
- If you have copper gutters or an asphalt roof, use the collected rainwater on landscaping only, never for edible plants.
- Trim back tree branches from your roof line.
- Empty it periodically.
- Keep your gutter system clean and well-maintained.
Rain Barrel water collection is affordable to install and provides lasting benefits. Contact Gutter Tex today for a free consultation.